Transplant Options for Hair Restoration
Even though hair loss is a common concern, it can have a heavy impact on your self-confidence. A variety of factors might increase the risk of hair loss, such as hormonal changes, genetics, and aging. Both men and women face the frustrating problem of losing their hair, and many people turn to hair restoration options to improve their appearance.
Hair Restoration Solutions
If you want to protect your head of hair, then you need to set realistic goals and talk to a hair loss specialist. You might be surprised to see that you are a good candidate for hair loss treatment.
- Topical Medication Treatments: Many people start with topical medications designed for hair restoration. These medications are applied to the scalp. The results vary from one person to another, but many people find that the products help to prevent or slow hair loss.
- Surgical Hair Restoration: Hair transplants are the third option that might be considered. If the above options haven’t provided the desirable results, then you can use your own hair as a way to restore the areas with hair loss. This treatment creates a natural, long-term result that you can enjoy.
There are a variety of transplant techniques that might be used to restore your hair:
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT/Strip): is a hair transplant technique that harvests follicular units by obtaining a strip from an area of non-balding scalp, typically near the back or sides of the head, and separates follicles to transplant to the recipient area. Last, the donor site is then sutured, leaving an incision within the hairline. This method is a great choice when candidates don’t meet the criteria for FUE. In order to assess, our surgeons will review your genetics, hair pattern, and goals.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): is a method of harvesting follicular units from a donor area to transplant to a recipient area. FUE is very safe, minimally invasive and a relatively minor procedure. This technique provides minimal bleeding and fewer complications than with the “Strip” method. Patients experience very little discomfort, no scape incision, stiches, no linear scarring with quick recovery time and any extraction sites will be hidden when the hair grows back. Those who rave positive results recommend using Neograft.
- Facial Hair or Eyebrow Transplantation: Transplants can be used to create fuller facial hair or eyebrows using the methods listed above.
How to Decide the Right Hair Loss Treatment
The best solution is to schedule a consultation with one of our experts in the industry. Each patient and their circumstance is unique, which is why personalized treatment plans are important.
Most hair loss doctors will start with the minimally invasive treatments to see the results. If you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, then you might try some of the surgical treatments.
You can find information online about hair restoration, but nothing beats the personal recommendations that come from an experienced doctor.
Choose the Very Best in Complex Plastic and Sinus Surgery
So you’re almost there. You have a goal in mind and options to choose from. The next part is choosing a surgeon you trust.
The team at My Houston Surgeons is comprised of eight highly skilled and experienced surgeons who have been featured by HTexas and Houstonia magazines as Houston’s Top Doctors, Texas Monthly as Super Doctors, and recognized by the patient-reviewed website, RealSelf, as Top Doctors! For real life experiences with the team at MHS please visit our reviews on myhoustonsurgeons.com.
Although, it is important to understand all options available, it’s also completely natural to feel anxious, either from preoperative stress or anticipation of your new look. Rest assured, you are in great hands. Dr. Rukmini Rednam, Dr. Scott Reis, Dr. Sanaz Harirchian and Dr. Sean Boutros are all board certified plastic surgeons who understand that this is a process and will do everything to ensure your goals are met. And just know that we are always here to answer your questions! If you are interested in learning more, visit our online booking page to schedule a consultation.