Candidates for surgery include the following:
- Anyone who has been evaluated by a primary care doctor or headache specialist (such as a neurologist or pain specialist) and diagnosed with trigger point headaches, migraines, or occipital neuralgia
- Patients who have headaches at least 4 days per week, and may have persistent ache on non headache days
- Pain may range from mild to severe intensity
- Headaches present for more than 6 months
- Patients who are tired of taking headache medications, and those who experience headaches that interfere with their personal and professional lives
- Ideal candidates have severe headaches that seem to come from one or two points on the head or face and then spread (Trigger points)
- Patients who have a good response to Botox or nerve blocks at trigger points
Additionally, patients who have not seen a headache specialist are still welcome to visit our office for a consultation.
Why Choose Us?
At My Houston Surgeons, we are able to treat a variety of sinus problems. We can prescribe the right course of action and follow through with state of the art treatment plans for each person. Our office has the most current CT Scanning, cutting edge technology allowing for minimally-invasive, in-office procedures, as well as nationally recognized luxury recovery suites. Plus we have highly-trained, board-certified sinus surgeons to care for you every step of the way.
Those that suffer from severe headaches have some options. One of our sinus specialists can review your medical history and determine the appropriate treatment for you.
Occipital/ Back of head
Patients with these headaches generally feel like the headache starts in the back of the head and then radiates to the front or sides. People with these headaches often have a history of neck injury, whiplash, or neck muscle muscle tightness. Patients may have:
– Spasm or tightness in the muscles in the back of the neck
– Worsening of pain with engagement of neck muscles
– Tenderness at the back of the head
These headaches feel as though they start right above the eye or between the eyebrows. Patients with these headaches may have:
– Strong corrugator muscles and deep vertical lines between the eyebrows (11 lines)
– Headaches worsening with squinting or concentrating
Pain in the temporal region is most commonly caused by occipital pain radiating up to this area. However, some rare patients may have headaches that originate primarily from the temples. Patients with these headaches may have pain originating from point in the mid temple right at hairline.
Patient often feel headaches from a contact point in the nose as pain behind the eyes. It may feel like a deep pain behind or below the eyes. Patients may have:
– Worsening headaches with allergies or nose irritation
– Headaches worse in the morning or when lying down
During these procedures, our sinus experts will release the nerves from the surrounding muscles. They will use your own fat to cushion the nerves. Patients can go home the same day, as the procedure is performed in an outpatient OR, and takes only two to five hours to complete. All surgery incisions are expertly hidden within the hair or eyelid creases. Nasal surgery is done through the nose.
Risks and Recovery
Risks from headache surgery are minimal. Some patients experience numbness, tingling, or itching. This typically resolves within a few months. Success has been shown in about 90% of patients, meaning 90% of patients saw at least a 50% reduction in their headache frequency, intensity and/or duration.
Our surgeons will place small drainage tubes beneath the skin that will remain in tact for two to four days. Some bruising and swelling may be apparent in some patients for up to two weeks. After two weeks you can resume normal activities, but should refrain from heavy exercise for a least one month.
Quality Patient Care
My Houston Surgeons has a number of fellowship trained sinus specialists on our team, ready to treat sinus conditions with the skill and finesse required. Our team is highly trained in a wide variety surgical treatments concerning sinus and nasal disorders, so you can rest assured that your sinus treatment will be the one best suited for your health and full recovery.
Your MHS Sinus Surgeons
Sinus Blog Posts
Schedule Your Consultation
9230 Katy Freeway, Ste 600
Houston, TX 77055
9303 Pinecroft, Ste 390
The Wooldands, TX 77080